History of Salem Country Club
On November 4, 1895, twelve of Salem city's most distinguished citizens, intrigued and for the most part uninformed about a game with Scottish origins called golf, met at the old Salem Club, today known as the John Bertram House on Salem Common, to organize the Salem Golf Club.
Over one hundred years later, Salem Country Club members are indebted to their golfing forebears for having the vision to invest their time and energy for the pursuit of this rather mysterious leisure time activity.
From those humble initiatives evolved one of America's great courses, deemed one of architect Donald Ross' finest creations, and anchored by a classic colonial clubhouse.
The Salem Country Club story is a story of men and women members who, through their love of the game and love for a gorgeous piece of Peabody countryside, have preserved and improved upon their club for future generations.
From the earliest years, when members played a primitive nine-hole Salem Golf Club course at Gardner Farm in Peabody and the Goldthwait property near the Salem-Marblehead line, to the modern era spanning the last 8 decades, during which time Salem Country Club has stood on the former Sanders Farm in West Peabody.
Salem's history has been punctuated by outstanding leadership in times of crisis and prosperity from people like Frank Benson, Andrew Lawrie, Oscar Ives, Samuel Batchelder, Ed Poor, Wilfred Shrigley, Joe Batchelder, Carl Hibbard and Tom Hayes.
It is a history marked by the crowning on this course of five national champions and 15 state champions.
A history of dedicated golf, clubhouse, and grounds staff.
A history of accomplished member players - men, women, and juniors.
But most important, a history blessed with thousands of members who have cared for their own families and businesses.
We welcome you, as a new member of Salem Country Club, to become a part of the story of the members and guests who have endowed Salem with over 100 years of unsurpassed memories, all for the love of the game of golf.
(Taken from the book by Gary Larrabee " Salem Country Club, One Hundred Years, 1895 - 1995)